is an exceptional and rare Georgian residence built by one of the Hunter’s pioneer entrepeneurs – John Smith.
Gentleman John Smith received one of the early 1818 grants from Governor Lachlan Macquarie allocated to eleven well behaved convicts.
From Smith’s land grant at Wallis Plains (now Maitland) he went on to build a flour mill and purchase a sailing vessel for trade between Sydney and Maitland. He and his wife Mary had 7 children.
“Englefield” was styled in the Irish farmhouse design and today the property’s grounds include 4 titles totalling 2,220 sqm. The has been lovingly conserved and fastidiously restored by the previous owner, Peter Gibbs, a master cabinet marker who over his tenure painstakingly restored all the cedar doors, window panes and staircases to new condition.
Five years ago the current owners literally fell in love at first sight with the residence taken by the architectural grandeur of the Georgian period…
Story Marilyn Collins. Images Kathleen MacKay.