Hunter Valley Wine Show: Trophy Winners
The 2021 CCL Hunter Valley Wine Show has today announced the trophy winners from its 49th show. Delayed from the initial run in August, the judging for the 49th show concluded on Thursday 28 October at the Singleton School of Infantry Army Base.
With COVID restrictions challenging proceedings, 645 wines and 4000 bottles were entered, with more gold medals per class than in previous years, and 25 of the 26 trophies awarded.
Highly acclaimed wine judge PJ Charteris, currently Chairman of Judges for the Royal Sydney Wine Show, presided over this year’s panel of 9 judges. PJ commended in particular the strength of the 2021 Semillon classes. In the red classes, the judges were spoilt for choice with 2017, 2018 and 2019 performing strongly. 2018 wines with a deep core of fruit are expected to mature exceptionally well, whilst the 2019s show a freshness and purity giving them instant appeal.
The Iain Riggs Wine of Provenance was awarded to Mount Pleasant for its Lovedale Semillon 2009, 2014 and 2019.
First Creek Wines took out a trifecta for its 2014 Single Vineyard Blackcluster Semillon, winning the Best White Wine of the Show, as well as the trophies for Best Single Vineyard White and Best Single Vineyard Wine. The trophy for Best Red Wine of the Show was awarded to De Iuliis for its 2019 Limited Release Shiraz, which also took home the trophy for Best Shiraz. It was a day of hard-earned celebrations for both First Creek Wines and De Iuliis who between them took home 12 of the overall trophies.
THE 2021 CCL HUNTER VALLEY WINE SHOW – TROPHY WINNERS
- Best Current Semillon – Brokenwood 2021 Tallawanta Vineyard Semillon
- Best One-Year-Old Semillon – Brokenwood 2020 Tallawanta Vineyard Semillon
- Best Mature Two-Year-Old and Older Semillon – First Creek Wines 2014 Single Vineyard Blackcluster Semillon
- Best Current and One-Year-Old Chardonnay – Keith Tulloch Wine 2021 Chardonnay Estate Chardonnay
- Best Two-Year-Old and Older Chardonnay – Silkman Wines 2017 SILK Chardonnay
- Best “Other White Varietals and White Blends” Trophy – Tempus Two 2021 Copper Vermentino
- Best Verdelho – Two Rivers 2021 Hidden Hive Verdelho
- Best Chardonnay – Silkman Wines 2017 SILK Chardonnay
- Best Off-Dry or Sweet White Wine – RidgeView 2018 “Tipple’s Gold” Late Harvest Viognier
- Best Fortified Wine or Vermouth – Mount Pleasant Wines NV 25 Year Old Fortified Verdelho
- Best Museum Red Wine – De Iuliis Wines 2007 Limited Release Shiraz
- Best Museum White Wine – Tyrrell’s Vineyards Pty Ltd 2006 Vat 1 Semillon
- Best Single Vineyard White – First Creek Wines 2014 Single Vineyard Blackcluster Semillon
- Best Single Vineyard Red – De Iuliis 2019 LDR Vineyard Shiraz Touriga Nacional
- Best Rosé – First Creek Wines 2021 FCR Merlot
- The Royal Australian Infantry Corps Officers Mess Silver Bullet – Margan Family Wines 2019 White Label Ceres Hill Barbera
- Best Current Vintage and One-Year-Old Shiraz – Mercer Wines 2021 Shiraz Nouveau
- Best Two-Year-Old Shiraz – De Iuliis Wines 2019 Limited Release Shiraz
- Best Three-Year-Old and Older Shiraz – Tyrrell’s Vineyards Pty Ltd 2018 Old Hillside Shiraz
- Best “Other Red Varietal and Red Blends” – De Iuliis Wines 2019 LDR Vineyard Shiraz Touriga Nacional
- Best Semillon – First Creek Wines 2019 Single Vineyard Blackcluster Semillon
- Best Shiraz – De Iuliis 2019 Limited Release Shiraz
- Best Single Vineyard Wine – First Creek Wines 2014 Single Vineyard Blackcluster Semillon
- Best White Wine of the Show –First Creek Wines 2014 Single Vineyard Blackcluster Semillon
- Best Red Wine of the Show – De Iuliis 2019 Limited Release Shiraz
- Wine of Provenance – Mount Pleasant Lovedale Semillon 2009, 2014, 2019